Dublin, 9 May 2018 - Paddy Power has joined forces with children’s literacy charity, Suas, by putting ‘swear boxes’ in its Irish shops to encourage the nation to stop swearing.
The idea behind the swear boxes is two-fold: to try and clean-up the language of the nation; and second to raise vital funds for Suas’ work with children in disadvantaged communities in Ireland.
Over the last 5 years, Suas has provided one-to-one literacy support to thousands of children from disadvantaged communities all over Ireland with the help of over 4,500 trained volunteers.
John Logue, CEO of Suas, said “One-in-three children in disadvantaged communities in Ireland have serious difficulties with literacy. The impact of illiteracy for these children, their families - and their communities - can be devastating. Our goal is to end childhood illiteracy in these communities. With Paddy Power’s incredible support, we will be able to provide one-to-one mentoring for almost 4,000 children in Ireland over the next 3 years.”
Paddy Power added “This is a really innovative, fun way to raise money for a great charity. I hope anyone who ticks the box of being both fond of a flutter and prone to the odd bit of profanity will fill the box at their local Paddy Power shop…. although I’m fearful that Suas might be disappointed with the impeccable manners of our customers!”
Suas, who will receive 75% of the cash donated by this profanity tariff, aim to service an additional 3,948 of children by the end of 2019. The Borris House Festival of Writing & Ideas will receive the remaining 25%, with which they will fund classes in creative writing each year by leading authors.
For further information please contact:
James Midmer, Head of Communications
Aoife Butler Nolan, Corporate Communications Executive
About Flutter Entertainment plc:
Flutter Entertainment plc (the “Group”) is a global sports-betting and gaming company reporting as four divisions:
UK & Ireland: includes Sky Betting and Gaming, Paddy Power, Betfair and Tombola brands offering a diverse range of sportsbook, exchange, gaming and bingo services across the UK and Ireland, along with over 600 Paddy Power betting shops in the UK and Ireland.
Australia: the Sportsbet brand offers online sport betting and is the Australian market leader.
International: includes PokerStars, Adjarabet, Betfair and Junglee operating in multiple jurisdictions around the world offering a diverse range of sportsbook, exchange and gaming services.
US: includes FanDuel, TVG, Stardust, FOX Bet and PokerStars brands, offering regulated real money and free-to-play sports betting, online gaming, daily fantasy sports and online racing wagering products to customers across various states in the US.